Friday, October 2, 2009

Trail Report - 10/1/09 (from the Left Coast) - Angel View, Portrero Rd - Thousand Oaks CA

OMMB couldn't resist riding vicariously through his West Coast friends.... enjoy this from Tim V....

- Riders: Hector, Ron, Scott, Tim
- Weather: Hot, dry, and windy
- Temp: California Hot
- Humidity: 2%
- Hills: Hike your bike steep

Tim's account....

So Hector had this great idea to go for a mountain bike ride yesterday. Did I tell you it was hot yesterday? In fact, it was a "Santa Ana" condition. For those non-California types, this refers to hot, dry and fairly windy conditions. In short, miserable riding weather. Did I tell you Hector also had this great idea to ride in Thousand Oaks. After all, its always hotter there than the coast. Did I tell you I haven't ridden in over a month? So we (Scott, Hector, Ron and I) met at Portrero Rd with the intent to make the climb to Angel View. Did I tell you this ride choice was...you guessed it...Hector's idea. Did I mention that my 17 year old asked me if I had a death wish? Her 20 min walk home from school apparently was enough "nature" time. Did I mention that Hector forgot his riding gear. Oh yes. Being the giving person that I am...I donated my extra t-shirt and riding shorts to Hector, while I rode in some fancy plaid shorts (see photo). So off we went on the ride. Did I mention it was dry? Think 2% humidity. Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration. My cancer treated throat began complaining almost immediately and I thought perhaps I might hork up a lung. Did I mention there are two beastly hills on this ride that cannot be ridden...so you must push your bike up them. After all, nothing is better than pushing your bike up a steep, loose hill on a hot, dry merciless day. After pushing hill #1, I must confess to feeling light headed and had to take 5 minutes of shade time while I contemplated hurling. Fortunately, I was able to sort myself out. It turns out my headband hadn't been properly washed and this served to contribute to my feelings of nausea. Apparently these conditions posed no problems for Hector and Ron. Scott was perhaps another story. So we ultimately made it to the top where attached photo was taken by Ron. Notice Hector's smug demeanor, my non-riding shorts and the fact that Scott looks like he's about to explode. Fortunately the ride back is mostly downhill, the temperature dropped a few degrees and the wind stopped. Even "Guzman Hill" was fun to blast down. We made it back to the cars around 1800 where I had some ice cold Tecate's waiting. Good times.

Thanks Tim (I feel your pain)!

Happy Trails,
OMMB

No comments: