Sunday, September 11, 2011

Piss and Vinegar - Village Park - Swansea, MA

  • Trailhead: Case Jr High
  • Riders: OMMB and JD
  • Miles: 4.5
  • Weather: nice, cooler and dry
  • Temp: 61
  • Trail Conditions: perfect thanks to Bikeworks, no thanks to Irene
  • Whoops, Yikes, and Oh Sheets: One whoops off a wooden beam, bike went right and I went left. Balance skills were a little "off" today. Thankfully Jesse doubled back to check on me...too funny!

Notes: So Jesse was "full of piss and vinegar"!  Have you ever wondered where that term came from?  Did someone actually drink P & V and start running around like a madman?  Something to ponder.  Well I guess because I haven't taken Jesse out for a ride run in two weeks or more, he was crazy with energy.  He just bolted ahead on the trail and dashed through the woods chasing who knows what!  This lasted for about 20 minutes until he settled down to our normal pace next to my bike.  Bikeworks did a great job cleaning up after that bitch came to town.  I even spotted some new singletrack that I need to check out.  I was too busy getting back into rythm to try it today...next time!

Tidbits:

- I read several theories as to the origin of P & V.  This one makes the most sense to me... Sailors who had had plenty to drink were in this condition. The vinegar may refer to the acidic form that cheap alcohol adopts when drunk, or it may be the vinegar that sailors drank to ward off scurvy.  ...so I'll assume the "piss" part of the phrase refers to the result of drinking too much "vinegar".

- Clear weather ahead...and a full moon.  I'm thinking of throwing a night ride or two in the mix this week.

Happy Trails,
OMMB

No comments: