Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Hello Margaret



    Notes: Felt bad about not taking Jesse riding lately, so I decided to try this place out for a short hike.  Teri and I scoped it out last year but I haven't been back since.  It's a cool little place.  Great geology.  The issue is that it is on private land, BUT I ran into one of the owners and got the okay to use the trails.  I may consider biking around here to get the trails fully mapped. 

    Tidbits: There's a monument provided by the family of Roger Williams at the south end of Margaret Rock. The rock shelter was named after the Wampanoag squaw who nursed an ill Roger back to health. It was here that, during that very cold winter of 1636 and with the aid of Massasoit, Roger spent 14 weeks following his banishment from Massachusetts Bay Colony and prior to his founding Providence (now you know the rest of the story).

    Happy Trails,
    OMMB

    No comments: