Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Trail Report - Solo Vander-Ride - 4/4/10 - Los Robles "lost" trail, CA

Highly bummed I couldn't make Gridley. So bummed that I rode solo on Sunday. I'll call it the Los Robles "lost" trail...

I'd say the ride was 10-12 miles with perhaps 1500 feet of climbing and comprised of single-track, fire road, sketch fire road and sketch single-track. I started at the Los Padres trailhead. It's a beautiful oak shaded cruise up to the Hillsborough access fire road. It's a cruise except for the granny gear inducing & lung exploding final 3 switchbacks. The fire road is an easy 1/2 mile climb to the los robles trail intersection. At this point I always go right...so I went left. After another mile of ups and downs on the fire road I spied a right hand single-track descent and took it. After a 1/4 mile I spied a wicked looking single-track climb. I proceeded to climb most of this and then reached another intersection. I went right (left was hike-a-bike) and rode single-track to another fire road that overlooks hidden valley. So at this point I'm not sure where to go...but then I see some hikers behind and below me. I backtracked and found a nice completely overgrown sing track descent to a "new" housing community in Lake Sherwood. The descent was easy but so overgrown as to become dicey when the trail was lost. Since I'm now 20 miles by paved road from my car, I went back the way I'd come. No big deal, but, the wicked single-track climb was a great descent...and I had to climb the hike-a-bike just to see if could descend it At the intersection of the hillsborough fire road I went my usual way on los robles and descended via the ultra steep fire road (just to see if I could do it) and then out los robles to the oak creek loop to paved road.

Good times and no broken derailleur's...and I made all those descents though my rear brake is now in need of a bleed...

Tim

(aka "Vander-Magellan")

No comments: