Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"6 is 9" - 8/12/10 - Arcadia State Park - Hope Valley, RI

- Trailhead: Browning Mill Pond lot
- Riders: OMMB
- Distance: 9.4 miles
- Temp: 77
- Weather: clear
- Trail Conditions: dry, rooty, rocky (typical New England)
- Technical Level: some challenging climbs, intermediate

Notes: So I found this cool map of the NEMBA 2010 Fun Ride on the NEMBA Arcadia site.  Been wanting to get back there, so I chose the nice little 6 mile pink trail...I like pink, I like riding 6.  I headed there after work, the trailhead is a real nice spot with picnic tables and fire pits next to the pond. Off I went.  The early sections of the trail map were difficult to follow (what? me? trouble following maps?)...didn't really match the trail turns in an obvious fashion.  Regardless, I made my way to the meat of the single track which was awesome (upper section), but I felt really dogged for such a short ride.  Hmmm...my GPS odometer, which is notoriously short, was indicating 7+ miles already. Something's wrong.  I bailed out after the last section of single track...turns out my track indicated 9.39 miles.  

So I emailed the NEMBA VP for Arcadia....

OMMB: "I used your map (attached) from the 2010 Fun Ride to ride the pink 6 mile loop. I got 9.3+ miles logged on GPS and bailed before I even hit the last single track. Was there a mistake on your map? Should the 6 mile actually say 9 mile?"

NEMBA rep: "I arrowed the loop and marked the map but I didn't put the mileage on the map on the web. But the loop you rode is 9ish. The loop marked 9 miles is really about 5.5 and the outer loop is 6 miles."

OMMB is thinking: "So how did I download a map clearly marked with mileage if Mr. NEMBA didn't post it?"

OMMB thinks:  "NEMBA’s trying to kill me!!"

Anyway...great loop.  Looking forward to trying the other "6 mile" loops to see what I get!

Happy Trails,
OMMB

No comments: