Tuesday, June 22, 2010

"Nightrider - he who eats bugs with bats" - 6/22/10 - Swansea, MA

OMMB went out for a late ride today.  Even though it's the day after Summer First (second longest day of the year), the lights were needed half way through the ride.  Did about 4 quick miles at Swansea Forest, weather was nice and temp about 75 degrees.  The trail conditions were excellent, no mud and well trodden single track the whole route. Bike was handling surprisingly different (better) by moving my slightly larger rear tire to the front (recommended by a tech at Bike Works).  Gave me a taste of what a 29er must be like.  Anyway, I decided to extend the ride a little bit by crossing the foot bridge over to the other trailhead, whoops off to the right of the bike when hopping the steps.  No biggie, I'll attack those stairs on the way back.........not!  Still not enough momentum, and off the right side of the bridge I went, all while yelling "sonofabitch"!  Like I've mentioned before, normally I'm more conservative when riding alone...I'll be reverting back to that mentality the next time.  And the subject of wildlife?   As soon as I entered the woods there was this REALLY loud screeching sound (like someone screaming for their lost dog)...which abruptly ceased when I stopped to figure it out.  It was real close, but nothin. Never heard it again.  Then there were the thousands of mosquitoes and moths I had the pleasure of eating.  Something hit me in the face on the way out, had paper like wings and sharp "edges"....yeah..... a bat had swiped across my face during his eating frenzy.  Joy.   (glad my mouth was closed, at least I think it was)

Tidbits:
- KerrDog stopped by before my ride to drop off our traditional tide calendar just in time for quahog/clam boil season...thanks KD!
- Got home for an outdoor shower while looking at the stars and chugging a Sea Dog Blueberry beer...gotta love it!

Happy Trails,
OMMB

No comments: