Thursday, May 12, 2011

Oh Hi Oh Hot - Gridley Trail - Ojai (oh hi), CA

- Trailhead: Gridley
- Riders: Hector, OMMB
- Miles: bout 6
- Weather: hot and dry
- Temp: 80's
- Trail Conditions: typically gnarly trailhead, then up up up the mountain
- Whoops, Yikes, and Oh Sheets: a yikes by Hector...while hike biking down the gnarly trail, his bike decided to launch itself down the hill onto rocks (hmmmm).

Notes: Well...last time I attempted Gridley I did make it to the top of the rideable trail.  That was my second attempt.  On this, the third attempt, I did even worse than the first time up here.  I'll attribute the "fail" to the heat and the fact that I had a bunch of miles in already this week.  Ojai is much further inland from the 60-70 degree coastal air.  The air is HOT and dry here and coming off a season of riding in 20 degree weather didn't sit well with me.  I was kicked very early.  Come to think of it, I do have a third excuse...the pedals on the rental bike were road pedals (one sided SPD) which made it almost impossible to clip back in when I needed to take a break from climbing.

Tidbits: bringing my own pedals with me next time!



Hector made it, but his trip computer did not!








Hitting Ojai Pizza to "rehydrate" with Fat Tire Ale and carb back up was definitely a Ojai-light!!










Happy Trails,
OMMB

No comments: