Sunday, July 10, 2011

Murphy's Lessons Learned - Village Park - Swansea, MA

Yesterday: 

So I don't know if it was our extended vacation in Hawai'i, or if it was being "out of rhythm", but for some reason I decided that I would do a quick "break-in" ride and would not need my Camelback.  The weather was warm but tolerable, so I grabbed a sport bottle of water before heading for the trails. Aloha, Mahola, it's all good, right?  Wrong.  Got over a mile out and the front tire goes flat.  No problem, I have a spare under the seat.  Problem, tools and pump are in the Camelback. 

Lessons:

1) Fingers don't work as tire removal tools. And if they did, filling a tube up enough to ride on with only air from your lungs remains to be seen. 
2) Sometimes the self sealing Slime tubes don't work (is there an expiration on them?  I haven't had a flat in months).
3) Sport bottle of water is not enough for man and dog.
4) Walking your bike back to the trailhead is embarrassing...even the dog kept his distance.

Today:

Headed for the same trailhead near the lake; that way dog face could swim after visiting every muck puddle during the ride.  Filled the Camelback, check the tire pressure, and off we went.  Pretty vanilla ride.  About 4 issue free miles. A bit odd that Jesse was not chasing anything and stuck real close to my left side.  So close that my shoe actually hooked his collar at one point.  I'm guessing he may be a little out of shape...along with OMMB.  Aloha, Mahalo, it's all good...

Learned:

Put EVERYTHING in your Camelback and bring it!  The additional weight is worth it's weight (huh?). Besides, if you don't bring it, that will be the day you need something from it.  Why is that?  Damned if I know. Does Murphy ride a Mountain Bike?

Tidbits: Saw the darnedest thing in the lake.  Looked like a small alligator head.  After watching it for at least 10 minutes I decided it had to be a log or something (also decided that I must be still jet lagged and delirious).

Happy Trails,
OMMB

No comments: