Friday, April 5, 2013

Grandad's Punishment

  • Place: Big River
  • Trailhead: Greasy Joe's
  • Riders with OMMB: Tom, Bruce, a guy with his cool dog, another guy, and a first time MTB rider guy (who had to bail out early, lucky shit)
  • Miles: 8-ish
  • Weather: perfect riding weather
  • Temp: 55-60
  • Trail Conditions: perfect
  • Technical Level: Yeah technical
  • Whoops, Yikes, and Oh Sheets: Too many flops to mention, all me
  • GPS Track:
Notes: So once in a while I join the "old guys". Not really an old guy ride, but the leaders are old guys.  Half the group were grandfathers.  That didn't prevent them from beating up this grandad.  I honestly believe that someone in the group must have found out that I ditched my wife today, leaving her at home with the nasty sore throat, cough, watery eyes, head cold that I passed along to her.  My punishment?  To get beat to shit by old guys riding the most technically challenging route I could imagine at Big River!  Most of the trails I had been on many times, but these guys like to take the less ridden line...over rocks, climbs, log crossings, etc.  And if they "liked" the line the first time, they would go back and do it again!!!  SO if I didn't crash on the first try, I DID crash on the second.  I landed on boulders several times and took out a small tree, roots and all. Rode a few "new to me" trails...very cool.  Granted, I was a bit under powered due to the recent plague, but I was a train wreck!  Bruises, scratches, and damaged ego to show for it.  Punishment accomplished.

Tidbits: I'll be back with those old bastards soon enough (with body armor).

Happy Trails,
OMMB

No comments: