Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"Once bitten, twice shy" - 10/19/10 - Freetown Fall River State Forest - Freetown, MA


- Trailhead: Copicut Rd, cross railroad tracks and enter at gate
- Riders: OMMB
- Distance: 4.6 miles
- Temp: 60 and dropping
- Weather: partly cloudy
- Trail Conditions: aggravating, D-
- Technical Level: borderline impossible on a MTB

Notes: Patrick and I previously tried FFSP earlier this year and we weren't too impressed with the level of effort needed to traverse this place; it's as if these trails do NOT want to be ridden.  So after this attempt, I'm now "twice bitten".  Right from the start, I was spinning in sand and loose rock...not like gravel rock but fist sized rock.  It was very clear that the trails are well worn from dirt bikes. 35 years ago, I was one of the dirt bike riders on these same trails.  I never thought I'd say this, but I think the DCR needs to close most of the trails here to allow them to recover. Or route around them with new trails and let the forest reclaim the old ones.  For 90% of the ride I was fighting to keep momentum and balance...just too much effort.  I did make it to "The Ledge" where the overlook provides a nice view above the treeline. Click on the map and you should be able to find it in the bottom left quadrant.  Always amazes me that they haven't roped off the area, it would be very easy to ride right off the edge if you were not aware of it!    All in all, a frustrating ride.  Leave this place to the dirt bikes, hunters, and hikers.




Tidbits: Found a new feature on Google Earth that allows you to see the vertical/speed profile of your GPS track.  I loaded the Mt Pinos ride into GE and had a look.  Here's the screen shot...



Happy Trails,
OMMB





No comments: