Monday, December 6, 2010

"Good golly what a Gridley" - 12/2/10 - Gridley Trail - Ojai, CA

- Trailhead: Gridley Road
- Riders: HectO, OMMB
- Miles: 12.4
- Weather: clear, cool breeze
- Temp: 60-ish (I think)
- Trail Conditions: 60% hardpack, 40% loose granular
- Technical Level: "don't look down"
- Whoops, Yikes, and Oh Sheets: none (good thing, one mistake and your toast) 

Notes: Hector was hell bent on getting me all the way up Gridley Trail, so this was the day.  Note that I failed miserably on the last try...well before I started blogging these reports.  It had been extremely hot and dry.  I ran out of water and tanked half way up (if that) trying to stay remotely close to Hector.  This ride resulted in much more success...although still a mega-climb for a RI rider.  6.2 miles of constant up.  The weather was much cooler and I think the bike helped a bit too, I was able to keep it mostly in the middle gear up front.  Hector pulled away about 3/4 of the way, but I made a good effort not to make him wait too long.  The view was great and with Hector's encouragement, I made it to the top of Gridley Trail.  We snapped a couple of pictures, adjusted the bikes for downhill, and off we went.  And damn what a downhill ride it was!  After hours of riding uphill, it took less than 30 minutes to get down, stopping a few times to rest the arms and hands.  But don't fret, we saved enough arm strength for chips and beer at the trailhead.

Tidbits: back to the "don't look down" comment...sheer cliffs in some places tempt you to look over the edge...don't!  (the fact that Hector kept yelling that didn't help matters...made me want to look every time he said it!  ...anyway, it's all good!)

Happy Trails,
OMMB



  

No comments: