Monday, March 19, 2012

Scoping out the Southside (aka Whoops, I did it again)

  • Place: Big River
  • Trailhead: Congdon Mill Rd, South end of Sweet Sawmill Rd
  • Riders: OMMB
  • Miles: 7
  • Weather:  nice, for Summer in March
  • Temp: 78 Newport, 74 at trailhead
  • Trail Conditions: good, some trees down on the remote trails
  • Technical Level: some rocky hill climbs
  • Wildlife: a bluejay, that's it
  • GPS Track: (click on the camera)



Notes: Well I wanted to just ride, and not investigate, but curiosity got the best of me and I entered the area from a different trailhead.  The freakishly hot weather limited my ride since I was on some pretty rough stuff.  Managed to get myself all twisted up again on New London Turnpike, wanting to close a loop back to the trailhead, but instead went off in the wrong direction(s).  Also, in search of hidden stuff, ran into more dead ends; old logging roads that would have closed the loop but were just to overgrown for the time I had.  So last leg back to the truck was on the road.

Tidbits: The area has great potential for expansion, some log bridges and good variety of terrain, but needs more riders and maintenance. 

Happy Trails,
OMMB

No comments: