Thursday, March 17, 2011

"Back to the River that keeps getting Bigger" - Green Day 2011 - Big River, RI






- Trailhead: Exit 6 / Rte 3 Burnt Sawmill dirt road
- Riders: OMMB
- Miles: 7
- Weather: clear
- Temp: 62
- Trail Conditions: a little soft, mostly dry.  One large water crossing (remember Chris' Blood Points from the naily bridge...that's the crossing)







Notes: Well I assumed I was in Rhode Island when I entered the trail, I did notice the temp was at least 62, I'm pretty sure it was St. Paddy's Day, and I know it rained all day yesterday, but what I did NOT expect was snow on the trail!  Wasn't bad, just small sections, but still surprising!


Some green, but no Shamrocks here!
This route is one of my favorite singletracks recently introduced on a Bikeworks ride, but I actually took a turn that landed me in an area that I had never seen before. Crazy that there are still areas of BR that I haven't touched. This was on the North side of Sweet Pond (see map below), which seemed to be at a lower water level due to a natural damn break.  Pictures of the resulting stream can be seen in the slide show below.

Saw some strange sights...


Here's something that could be used to distill Irish Whiskey!

Wasn't sure what to make of this one...




Here's where you end up after too much Irish Whiskey...



The slideshow:




The route:



Tidbits: NEMBA Pete said the Peepers are here...they are.  Spring is VERY close.

Happy Trails,
OMMB

No comments: