Monday, July 19, 2010

“Back on two wheels” - 7/15/10 - Big River - RI

I set out to hit an area I hadn’t focused on since Pat and friends started riding here over 10 years ago.  From the Hopkin’s Hill parking lot, headed out the left side trailhead and all the way down the hill.  As I remember, it was a pretty rough area down at the bottom...memories of someone permanently "denting" her leg and another splitting his helmet into three came to mind (not mentioning any names).  I continued through the area keeping the water to my left.  I unexpectedly ended up finding some VERY nice single track (I’m talking smooth as Kingdom Trails nice).  Surprising to me, I really have NOT travelled all the possible trails in Big River.  The area I found mostly straddles the New London Turnpike (dirt road) and some good stuff lies between Division Street and Rte 95.  Only negative thing I could say is that you can hear the sound of the highway throughout most of the area…but the single track was excellent! If I were to bet, I’d say that NEMBA or someone has been adding to these unmapped trails over the years.  There’s even another man-made bridge ramp thingy like the seesaw.  I ended up with over 7 miles logged.


Saw a LOT of wildlife including 2 deer, 1 baby toad, 1 baby frog, chipmunks and squirrels by the dozen, a huge crane/herring looking thing, and some giant squirrel gopher woodchuck mix that I have no idea how to identify.  It was near some rock caves and was able to climb the side of the rock outcropping (so I know it wasn’t your standard woodchuck).  Could it have been a rare giant weasel or mammoth cave squirrel?  I’m stumped!

The trail conditions were VERY dry and the single track, although "new", was packed solid.  Did I mention dry?  So dry that I think I rode through what was once a pond or swamp...you can see the water on this Google Earth shot (the parking lot is the Exit 7 Commuter Parking).



Weather was humid and there was this very bright thing in the sky...something I hadn't seen in a while!

Happy Trails,
OMMB

No comments: