Thursday, July 22, 2010

"Whoops" - 7/20/10 - Big River - RI

- Trailhead: Exit 7 Commuter Parking Lot
- Riders: T, Mark, OMMB
- Distance: 9 miles
- Temp: upper 80's
- Weather: humid
- Trail Conditions: dry

Notes: The intent of this ride was to show the "new to OMMB" area of Big River near exit 7, between Division Rd, North side of New London Turnpike (NLT), and Rte 95.  Maybe cover 5 miles or so.  We started out okay, with nice smooth single track from the parking lot, but it didn't last..."did I miss something that I rode the other day??"  The cool single track didn't amount to much of a ride sooooo "we" went exploring the South side of NLT to find a route to Carr Pond. I couldn't find a trailhead into the North side of the Carr Pond area and ended up at a million dollar cul-de-sac.  Decided to turn back and head back the other direction on NLT to more familiar trails...I dragged my riding partners along.  To avoid the climb to Carr Pond, we followed a trail in the direction towards Tarbox Pond.  There were some mud crossings but not too bad.  We circled Tarbox on some pretty technical singletrack and looped back to NLT on the Pump House trail...fun.  It was time to bail out of this unexpectedly long ride so out to Division Road we went.  At the lot, "whoops" we ended up logging 9 miles!  It's crazy how one small part of BR can turn into almost 10 miles.

Tidbits: a freakishly friendly rider came up to us in the parking lot before the ride and urged us to follow him to the "hidden trail" called "Nuts"...sounded suspicious to OMMB.  The trail was advertised as a 1.5 mile technical trail.  We didn't bite, but my curiosity was definitely aroused.  I emailed the NEMBA Big River Chairperson (Al) and the RI NEMBA President (Pete) and asked if they knew of this "hidden trail" (since it was not labeled on their maps).  I find out that the freakishly friendly rider was freakishly friendly Pete!!  I only knew him by name, not by sight.  Pete gave me the general idea of where "Nuts" is hidden and I was determined to unhide it.  To be continued....

Happy Trails,
OMMB

No comments: