Monday, August 1, 2011

Do I Really Need Granny Gear? (Part 2) - Village Park - Swansea, MA

- Trailhead: Case Jr High
- Riders: OMMB and JD
- Miles: 5.25
- Temp: 88, not so comfortable
- Trail Conditions: very dry, fast...with one exception

Notes: Within five minutes of leaving the trailhead, the question was answered.  Whether I subconsciously hit the left shift lever, or bounced the chain over a bump, result was a downshift to the vacated granny gear.  The chain managed to lodge under the grommets where granny once lived. It took quite an effort to dislodge the chain (I'm thinking that single speed bikes must have some solution for this, I'll have to take a closer look).  At this time...I need granny gear.

Although it was uncomfortably humid today, I was able to squeeze out another mile over yesterday.  I wasn't feeling very enthusiastic though. When I got to the section of trail owned by the gun toting quad driving farmer I decided to take the "public" cut off down the pipeline (straight track heading left starting on right of map below).   I also didn't feel like taking the risk that Farmer Quad may take shots at my coyote look-alike riding partner. But apparently this trail is only manageable when frozen, because OMMB and dog had to walk through knee deep muck to get through.  It was absolutely lovely. 

Jamming up the chain, dealing with some rear derailleur quirks (been too lazy to tune it up), AND finding a rear flat tire due to multiple thorns (with a Slime Tube???)....decided I will ride the Kona 29 "Gold Member" next time out.

Happy Trails,
OMMB

No comments: