Thursday, August 4, 2011

Genius - Big River - RI

- Trailhead: Burnt Sawmill Rd
- Riders: The usual...me and the dog
- Miles: 5
- Weather: perfect and dry
- Temp: 75
- Trail Conditions: same as the weather
- GPS Track: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1246891

Notes: GREAT day for a ride.  I was hoping to log about eight to ten miles today.  My bike only wanted to do five.  Well I can't really blame the bike, because I'm the wizard that decided to remove the front derailleur for the heck of it (no granny gear, why should I need the derailleur?).  I found out that they just don't put that chain guide on the derailleur for the heck of it...smart move.  Chain proceeded to jump off the front ring about every 5 to 10 minutes.  Had to manually reset it, while the high performance deer flies attacked.  Even tried removing a few links from the chain but that didn't work...good times.  Anyway, the trails were in fantastic condition.  Intent was to map a good course through the hidden single track for the next (hopeful) SMGR.  Got pretty sick of resetting the chain, so back to trailhead I went.  To top things off, while heading back, Jesse Dog decided to chase a red squirrel up a tree and must have twisted himself.  He started yelping like a baby hyena (sounded like he was yelling "my leg is broken!"). When I looked back, he was just sitting on the trail. A few head pats and he was good to go...I'm guessing he through his hip out or something.

Happy Trails,
OMMB

No comments: